This new handbook, by Nigel Williams, supports the Tutor Training Course for the National Navigation Award Scheme and complements the NNAS Outdoor Navigation Handbook for Tutors.
The contents have been developed to support anyone teaching navigation, in schools and colleges, youth and voluntary organisations or training leaders and instructors in the professional outdoor sector."This handbook helps establish a new way of introducing and teaching navigation. Nigel has inspired hundreds of DofE leaders to use their teaching to develop their own navigation. This is a must for anyone teaching navigation to any age group."
Alex Cumming, Assistant Director DofE Award - ScotlandKey points at a glance
- Saves precious instructor preparation time
- For outdoor centres, the education sector and voluntary leaders
- Tried and tested methods developed by Nigel Williams, 20 years Head of Training at Glenmore Lodge, Scotland’s National Mountain Training Centre
- Progressions from the classroom and school grounds to the forest and mountain tops using a range of map scales.
- Simple exercises requiring minimal preparation that can be taught in most settings
- A structure to plan the effective use of resources in an educational setting: from the time available, to classrooms, to minibuses, to mapping.
55 tables and illustrations